maandag 26 maart 2012

The decline of shooting.

Well today I easily won a game of warhammer against  my friends dwarfs

And this battle showed one aspect of 8th really really well.
The decline of shooting

Now this is what happend in this 1500 point game

His army was  30 or so  ironbreakers
2X 10 quireleers
2 bolttrowers
1 stone tower
1 cannon 
some characters ( I think 4?)

I for one had

1 Hoard of squigs
2 big units of night goblins (whit nets)
1 small unit night goblins (bunker)
2 units of bear bone  wolfriders
chariots
2 doom drivers
1 rock lobber

 and some characters (6!!!! damm goblins are cheap)

Now  back in the day  of 7th I would have found his army a bit scary
For starters his iron breakers would have been a pain. Whit only the front of my units attacking (instead of the 3 ranks of squigs I now had. Those iron breakers would have been almost impossible to kill. 
Secondly my army would have had a lot smaller units properly around 30. And that would mean they could be panicked of the board.

Now in 8th I just had massive units (40 or more) that hardly noticed the shooting.
And the squig herd hoard could attack in 3 ranks killing 13 iron breakers in the first round of combat breaking them and running them down in one fell swoop.

He had so manny points in warmachines, but the only war machine that really  worried me was the stone tower. Cause it hits so many models at once  (Next time I should deploy my bunker 10 wide 2 deep)   But even that has goten  worse vs troops in 8th  being reduced to s 3 and allowing armour saves.

In total his army was totally ineffective at stoping  mine . I lost my  redirecters to his shooting  and then rolled over him completly whit my normal units.  By turn 3 it was all over.

I just don't think that pure shooting armies are effective in 8th. Shooting now needs to be aplied to kill redirectors and force multiplayers (like a corpse cart). But the real fighting is better left to the infantry. And I like that,  warhammer is getting closer to real mideaval ways of war.

Cya and my the dice gods bless you 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten