zaterdag 5 mei 2012

True Victory

Well a other Friday a other loss

Oh no wait

I actually won a game.
I did not just win I totaly destroyed the enemy army. (sorry to my opponent)




Sadly I think there where 2 things that heavily influenced my win and neither of these two where due to actual skill on my part.

1. My artillery absolutely rocked this game. In fact on my first turn 3 of my warmachines rolled a  hit.
    So I killed:  10 archers
                        1 trebuchee
                         5  errantry knights

During the rest of  this kept up killing even more knights and archers while not as ridicules as turn     one it kept up a nice tally.  The high point most have been destroying a unit of  9 knights in one turn whit just 1 stonetower and the 2 doom drivers
This must have been a total pain to my foe. But for the most part is was

On the other hand my opponent could have done some things to decrease casualties.
For instance on turn one I found out that he had deployed two of his knights units to close to each other. Meaning that if I shoot a doom driver in between, I could hit them both. Now this of course is a very bad thing. Knights getting 2x 1d6 no armour saves  hits is not the way to go. Sadly he did not move them. In effect doubling my damage output.

2. Bad amry selection and placement on my opponents part.
Now I know this is not a nice thing to say but some times the truth needs to be said.
Now I already did right a blog about how I think the  gun line is dead and this was a other game that proved this to me. My opponent hat chosen to go for a more shooting bretonian  army.
Now this might seem silly but its not all that bad if you think about it. Bretonian archers are very cheap only 60 points for 10 and they come whit spikes for free. Now these things are fences meaning that they count as obstacles. So cavalry need to test for terrain when they charge them and also you have -1 to hit on units behind them. So in fact they are really good against the bane of the shooting unit: fast cav.
My opponent went wrong in 2 things. One making his unit to large. He had taken a horde of archers 40 strong and placed them 10X4. This of course means that 10 of them don't get to shoot ever and 20 of them cant shoot if you move or make a stand and shoot reaction.
Now paying points for shooters that don't shoot is silly'. The second thing he did was  placing this unit on the flank and even at a angle. Now granted that was the only way to put them on a hil. But it made it very easy for me to deal whit them.  Even such a large unit of archers is not going to kill enough of a combat hoard to make them in effective in two turns of shooting. And that meant that  i ended up flanking him. Easily defeating him in one round of combat and seeing them run of the board.
Personally I think he would have been much better of taking 4 units of 10. This would have given him  3 more deployment drops ( a big plus for brets), made more models shoot. And most importantly denied  me the change to defeat them all on on go.
But on the plus side it was a cool looking unit.

Now  on to the things I took away from this battle form my own play

Wolf riders are absolute gold.

I am starting to think that these are some of the best redirectors in the game
There are so many good things about them  For starters they are dirt cheap, Secondly they are lightning fast and thirdly orcs just don't care when they die?  Now these things are great at blocking of enemy combat units. Orc hordes  can take a lot of things one on one. But whit the big hordes comes the disadvantage that they are not very mobile. And getting combo charges is a pain. Wolf riders can really help prevent that. They can throw enemy units of  course just by standing in the way. And most of the time the one turn delay that, that gives is all that is needed for the orcs to win trough.

Doom drivers are a great compliment to orc hordes

Orc hordes can really dish out a lot of attacks. My army had 3 combat hordes
1 unti of 40 savage orc big ones  (that's 50 s5 attacs)
1 unit of  40 squigs (thats 40 s5 attacs)
1 unit of 40 black orcs  (that's 40 s5 attacks or 30 s7)

Now these things will just lawn-mow trough most enemy infantry. I mean every thing shy of chaos warriors or elves is in for a world of hurt. But where thy seem to falters is against knights.
Now knights tend to have a much smaller frontage meaning less attacks and a great armour save meaning that these attacks are going to be much less effective. And once the hordes get bogged down they become very vulnerable. Not only do they hit hardest on the first round of combat but if they get flanked being in horde is actually a very bad thing. Cause it means you have less attacks and less ranks making U very easy to break.

Now doom drivers are weak against infantry causing just a few hits but those hits are really hard hits
meaning that they are great against cavalry.  And on top of that they are scary accurate.
In this way the  doom drivers and the hordes cover each others weakness. The  doom drivers can deplete the enemy heavy cavalry to a point where they are no longer a tread to my orc hordes.
And the hordes can mow down the infantry that the doom driver couldn't hope to deal whit effectively.  Now that's some thing I like


So to sum up what did I learn from this battle

1) a little luck goes a long way
2) Don't take army selection and deployment lightly
3) Never ever leave home without some redirectors
4) Make sure your units cover each others weakness.


Cya and may  the dice gods bless you
       
     





 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten